WHAT ARE MICROGREENS?
Microgreens are a green vegetable harvested when they are just a few inches tall and after the very first leaves (cotyledon leaves) have developed from the seed. At this point, all the nutrients needed to grow the entire plant are concentrated in the tiny leaves, making them 4-6 times more nutritious than the mature plant.
Microgreens are packed with antioxidants and other health promoting nutrients and are a particularly rich source of vitamins C, E, K, lutein and beta-carotene. They are also bursting with flavour and are loved by chefs and home cooks alike for the way they enhance the look and taste of dishes.
We are excited to be including samples of micro greens in all discovery boxes during the week of Saturday, June 22nd. The mix that will be included is called “Rainbow Mix”. These micro greens will be available as an add-on to our boxes going forward.
WHERE DO THESE GREENS COME FROM?
The microgreens in your box are supplied by New Leaf, a Dubai based indoor farm. They grow in organic soil without using any pesticides or chemicals and ensure optimal growing conditions by controlling light, temperature, humidity and carbon dioxide. This means that they use 95% less water than traditional farming and can grow throughout the year.
WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT?
Up to 85% of our food in the U.A.E is imported. It has travelled many miles before it reaches us and is grown for shelf life rather than for taste and nutrition. Having access to these greens supports the health of individuals, the blossoming agriculture community in the U.A.E and the environment.
HOW CAN YOU USE MICROGREENS?
- On salads, as an addition or the main event
- In green juices, smoothies and shakes
- In sandwiches, burgers and wraps
- In soups, omelets and stir fry’s
- To make pesto, sauces and vegetable purees
- As a garnish to add texture, colour and flavor
Microgreen Beetroot, Walnut & Goats Cheese Salad
25 minutes (serves 4 as a side salad)
Ingredients for the salad:
- 40g mixed microgreens from the Fruitful Day Box
- 2 small beetroots
- 4 small radishes
- 50g walnuts from the Fruitful Day Box
- 90g goats cheese
- 3 small spring onions
Ingredients for the dressing:
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 4 garlic cloves
- ¼ tsp salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 2 tsp grainy mustard
- 2 tsp honey
METHOD for the salad:
- Peel beetroots and then slice into 5mm slices.
- Place a griddle on medium heat and sear each slice of beetroot slowly for 10-15 minutes, turning half way. Alternatively, you can bake the slices in the oven for the same amount of time at 180 degrees celsius. Set aside.
- While the beetroots are searing, toast the walnuts by putting them in the oven on a baking tray for 6 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius. Set aside.
- Slice spring onions and radishes. Set aside.
- Assemble by putting the microgreens in a bowl first and then tossing in the seared beetroot, sliced radishes and spring onions and then top with the toasted nuts and chunks of goats cheese.
METHOD for the dressing:
- Dice the garlic and set aside.
- Put the olive oil in a small saucepan on low heat and then add the diced garlic. Cook the garlic slowly and gently and then remove from the heat (optional step).
- Mix together the olive oil and garlic mixture, add the lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, black pepper, grainy mustard and honey. Stir rigorously.