It’s been a while since we posted a recipe on our blog, but we’re back! This time with a delicious home made granola recipe, which is much better than any store bought granola that often contains added sugar, palm oil and non-gluten free grains. Once the granola is pre-prepared, it is very quick breakfast you can put in a jar and take with you to work or as a post-workout snack. In our jars, we’ve paired the homemade granola with apple compote and yoghurt, but you can get creative with just about any fruit! This time of year pears are some of our favorites, for instance.
We have some more exciting recipes coming up in the next weeks so keep checking back!
Granola & Apple Compote Jars
INGREDIENTS for the apple compote
- 4 apples from the Fruitful Day Box
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
INGREDIENTS for the granola
- ½ cup fresh shredded coconut OR dried desiccated
- ½ cup oats
- ½ cup walnuts from the Fruitful Day Box
- ½ cup hazelnuts from the Fruitful Day Box
- ½ cup peanuts from the Fruitful Day Box
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds from the Fruitful Day Box ½ cup sunflower seeds from the Fruitful Day Box
- 4 tbsp honey OR maple syrup
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- ½ cup cranberries from the Fruitful Day Box
- ½ cup raisins from the Fruitful Day Box
METHOD for the apple compote
- Preheat over to 180 degrees C.
- Peel apples and chop into quarters.
- Place on a baking tray, sprinkle with cinnamon and coconut oil and mix around with your hands.
- Bake for 30 – 40 minutes until soft.
- Remove from the oven. You can either eat the apples as they are or put in a food processor for a more compote like consistency. Alternatively, you can cut them into smaller pieces at the beginning before roasting for a chunky compote.
- To serve, layer the granola, compote and yoghurt into a jar in any order.