We promised you 7 recipes in 7 days and we think you’ll love this 2nd one! Desserts are a weak spot for many of us, but they don’t have to be a guilty indulgence. If you plan ahead, you can actually fill your desserts with whole foods that will enrich you in some way.
Our Raw Vegan Lime & Cherry Tart is inspired by LA’s well-known vegan Cafe Gratitude. What makes it different than a typical vegan cheesecake is that the crust is made primarly with fresh grated coconut rather than nuts. There are also NO filler ingredients like potato starch, thickeners like guar gum or alcohol sweeteners that are hard on your stomach.
In case you missed our first recipe in the series, click here to learn how to make apricot and orange granola bars.
Raw Vegan Lime & Cherry Tart (makes one small 12cm tart – you can double the recipe to make a large tart)
30 minutes (not including chilling time)
INGREDIENTS for the crust
- 3/4 cups of soaked cashews (soaked overnight or for at least 4 hours) from the Fruitful Day Box
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- ¼ cup macadamia nuts
- 28g dates from the Fruitful Day Box
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
INGREDIENTS for the filling
- 3/4 cups of soaked cashews (soaked overnight or for at least 4 hours) from the Fruitful Day
- ¼ cup fresh shredded coconut
- Juice of 3 limes from the Fruitful Day Box
- ¼ cup of maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 1/8 cup coconut milk
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 7 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 tbsp melted cacao butter
- Two handfuls of cherries from the Fruitful Day Box
METHOD for the crust
- Process all ingredients except the dates in a food processor.
- Add dates and process until the mixture comes together to form a dough.
- Line your tart dish with cling film or grease with coconut oil.
- Press crust into the base of the dish until it forms an even curst that rises up the edges by about 2cm.
- Leave to set in the fridge.
Method for the filling
- Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender until they are smooth. You may need to add more coconut oil or cacao butter depending on how strong your blender is.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust.
- Remove stems from cherries, slice in half and pit.
- Use these cherries as a garnish on top of the tart.
- Set in the freezer for – 2 hours.