Just like that it’s almost the end of Ramadan already. Where has the time gone?! Despite the heat, we have very much enjoyed the Holy Month. It is always a beautiful time of year to meet friends and be introduced to new and inspiring people. As we head into the summer, we have some exciting plans as always. Watch this space!
In the meantime our Eid gift to you is a delicious gluten and sugar free cobbler recipe. Don’t worry – it’s not difficult and it doesn’t matter if it’s not perfect when you make it. It’s an impressive dessert that is still light and simple. Bring it with you this weekend to wherever you are heading and gather around and enjoy the holidays!
Eid Mubarak from us at Fruitful Day.
Peach & Nectarine Cobbler (makes one 25cm round dish cobbler)
INGREDIENTS for the filling
- 3 peaches from the Fruitful Day Box
- 3 nectarines from the Fruitful Day Box
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
INGREDIENTS for the crust
- ½ cup of coconut flour
- ½ cup of gluten free flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp grass fed butter
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 egg
METHOD for the filling
- Slice all the nectarines and peaches into 5mm slithers.
- In a large bowl, toss the sliced nectarines and peaches in the lemon juice and spices.
- Arrange the fruit in your baking dish – in a smaller dish, the slices may layer on top of one another.
METHOD for the crust
- Preheat the oven to 160 °C
- Melt butter and set aside.
- Mix together all dry ingredients: flours, cinnamon, baking powder and salt.
- Whisk the egg in a bowl and set a small splash aside for the egg wash later.
- Add wet ingredients: butter, honey and the rest of the egg.
- Combine ingredients and bring together to form a dough.
- Lightly flour a clean, flat surface and roll the dough out to 3-4mm thickness.
- Using cookie cutters, cut out the desired shape. Place this cut out shape on top of the layered peaches and nectarines.
- Continue until all the dough is used – there may be some left over depending on the size of the dish.
- Using a brush or your finger, paint the dough cut outs with a layer of egg wash.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until dough is browned and the peaches are caramelised.
- Serve hot or cold with yoghurt or ice cream.